Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

What is liability insurance and is it required in Oregon?
Liability insurance is insurance that LMTs purchase to protect themselves in case of a lawsuit being filed against them.  This could arise from a client slipping as they walked through your entryway into your place of business or from harm caused through a massage.  Sexual boundary violations of the LMT are not covered through liability insurance.  While liability insurance is NOT required for LMTs in Oregon, it is highly recommended, and OMTA requests that all LMTs attending OMTA events (where hands-on work is done) have liability insurance. 
Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals (ABMP) offers OMTA members a $24.00 discount annually on liability insurance with proof of membership.

How do you bill insurance?
Insurance billing for massage therapists is rapidly becoming a profitable practice.  However, it is recommended that LMTs exercise caution and have appropriate training as the board has seen a recent increase in fraud complaints stemming from inappropriate insurance billing practices.  There are several types of insurance billing: PIP (Personal Injury Protection, usually through auto accident claims), WC (Worker's compensation), and Health Insurance.  OMTA encourages any LMT who wants to utilize insurance billing to take classes and do their research.  It is not a simple process that can be explained quickly for "just one client." Choosing to be a provider who bills insurance carries additional responsibilities that affect the rest of your practice, including pricing practices and recordkeeping.  The OBMT has seen a significant increase in recent years of complaints of billing fraud against LMTs, with those complaints stemming from clients, insurance companies, and even other LMTs.  In addition, LMTs who thought they were "appropriately" billing insurance because they "were told to handle it that way in a billing class" were investigated for inappropriate practices.  Before you sign up for a billing course, make sure you do your own research on the course, school, and instructor.  Regardless, YOU are responsible, so it is important you familiarize yourself with insurance billing law.

How can I get health insurance?
Unless you (or a significant other) have a job with benefits, finding health insurance that is affordable can be a challenge.  OMTA does not offer regular health insurance, although ABMP does offer some group rates (these may still not be reasonable enough for many who are self-employed).  

OMTA is a 501(c)(6) Non-Profit Corporation. According to the IRS, contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions on the donor's federal income tax return. They may be deductible as trade or business expenses if ordinary and necessary in the conduct of the taxpayer's business. Contact your tax consultant if this affects you.  © 2018 Oregon Massage Therapists Association. This web site is maintained by OMTA's Past Presidents Council.

Powered by Wild Apricot. Try our all-in-one platform for easy membership management